Obstetrics and Gynaecology (O&G) specialists provide medical care of the female reproductive system and care of pregnant women.
General Obstetric services includes:
- Preconception health screening
- Antenatal care (before birth)
- Intrapartum care (during labor and delivery)
- Postnatal care (after birth)
General Gynaecology services includes:
- Health screening for women for gynaecological and breast malignancies
- Management of common gynaecological problems e.g. menstrual disorders, amenorrhoea, menopause, pelvi-abdominal masses, uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, urinary prolapse and urinary complaints
- Management of early pregnancy complications (miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, gestational trophoblastic disease e.g H. mole)
- Contraceptive services
- Management of menopause e.g. symptoms, use of hormone replacement therapy and prevention of osteoporosis
- Emergency obstetric & gynaecological consultations at O&G (24-hour) Clinic
We have a wide range of services and facilities to care for you and your newborn.
- Maternity Facilities/Services
- Delivery Suite / painless labor
- Hospitalisation Services
- Rooms – Virtual Tour
- Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Antenatal Diagnostic Clinic/Antenatal Monitoring Clinic
- Peripartum Unit
- Obstetric Ultrasound
- Obstetric Day Assessment Centre
Delivery room comes with an individual bed, attached bathroom with shower facilities, couch-bed, and a telephone to keep anxious family members updated on the baby’s arrival.
The nurses, all experienced midwives, work closely with the obstetricians, anaesthetists, neonatologists and physicians to help mothers through their deliveries.
Painless labour package
Pregnancy is a dream come true of all couples. The first time mothers are filled with apprehension and innumerable questions. They get their queries solved by consulting their elders and peers and now newsgroups. They develop misconceptions and fears regarding pregnancy and labor.
The perception of pain during labor and delivery varies between individuals. Specially, the first-time mothers need a proper antenatal counselling regarding good nutritious diet, antenatal exercises and physiology of labor pains. Here we shall only be dealing with labor & delivery.
Epidural anaesthesia is an advance in pain management during labor, which ensures that a pregnant woman has a comfortable labor. It is a regional anaesthesia in which an anaesthetic drug is injected near the spinal cord in the spinal canal.
It numbs the body below the waist, but the movements are not impaired.
Time of anaesthesia
It is administered when the patient is in active labor.
It can be given as a single injection or in multiple doses through a special epidural catheter by a skilled anaesthetist.
- Almost complete relief from pain with the patient being mobile
- No postpartum headache as in spinal anaesthesia
- Mother is conscious and alert throughout the labor
- An instrumental delivery can be performed under the same anaesthesia, if need arises
- If the patient has to be taken for caesarean section, the effect can be topped up through the epidural catheter.
- Sudden drop in the blood pressure
- Because of pelvic floor relaxation, baby’s head may not rotate and forceps application may be required.
- Slight increased rate of instrumental and caesarean deliveries.
We are advocates of painless childbirth, and many of our patients have gone through the process amazed at what an anticlimax the delivery turned out to be after months of worrying.
Antenatal Diagnostic Clinic/ Antenatal Monitoring Clinic
- Prenatal diagnosis and counselling of patients with fetal anomalies
- Obstetric ultrasound services
- Early pregnancy scan
- Obstetric screening scan
- 4-D scan
Obstetric Day Assessment Unit
The O&G Clinic is a walk-in clinic for women with emergency O&G conditions.
We provide round-the-clock service for early or post pregnancy related conditions, gynaecological complaints; such as acute vaginal bleeding and severe pelvic pain.
For expectant mothers who are at least 28 weeks into their pregnancy, and with concerns such as waterbag leakage, vaginal bleeding or signs of labour, please proceed to our Delivery Suite.
Our Obstetric Day Assessment Centre has evolved into an outpatient alternative for women with complicated pregnancies and pregnant patients with hypertension and/or diabetes.
These patients would previously have required hospitalisation. Now they receive the same high standard of obstetric care while enjoying the benefits of an outpatient status, such as no hospitalisation costs and reduced disruption to their work, family and social lives. Hypertensive and Diabetic obstetric patients now receive an extensive evaluation and self-help management guidelines.
Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) is also known as key hole surgery or laparoscopic surgery.
- The MIS procedure involves the surgeon making few small incisions and using specialised techniques and equipment like a tiny video camera and fibre optic light source. A clear image of the inside of the body is transmitted on a TV monitor and the doctor is able to perform the surgery by looking at the monitor.
- Patients benefit as minimally invasive surgery means less trauma to the body and blood loss can be avoided during the surgery. Post-surgery pain and surgical scars are reduced as only small cuts are made as compared to a conventional open surgery. Hospital stay is also shortened.
Common gynaecological conditions seen at the clinic:
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Irregular Menstruation Pelvic pain
- Infertility Investigation
- Ovarian Cysts
- Enlarged Uterus
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse
Range of Services:
- Diagnostic Laparoscopic & Hysteroscopic Procedures for
- Chronic Pelvic Pain
- Abnormal Pelvic Masses
- Abnormal & Heavy Uterine Bleeding
- Therapeutic Laparoscopic Procedures for
- Laparoscopic Tubal Sterilization Procedures
- Ectopic Pregnancy (Salpingectomy & Salpingotomy)
- Ovarian Cysts (Cystectomy & Oophorectomy)
- Endometriosis (Excisional Surgery & Restoration of Pelvic Anatomy)
- Counseling and support services for patients undergoing minimally invasive surgical procedures
| Gynaecological Cancer Our Clinical Services provide for the needs of women with cervical, uterus and ovarian cancer, and other gynaecological conditions.Screening and Prevention
Cervix cancer is the fifth most common cancer and can be prevented by screening with the Pap Smear. Early changes in the cervix can be seen long before a cancer develops and treating the cancer in this pre-cancerous stage can prevent cervix cancer from occurring.
When a pap smear suggests that there are some pre-cancer cells, your specialist may suggest a colposcopy examination. This involves an instrument with a magnifying glass through which a better view of the cervix can be obtained.
A cone biopsy is a minor surgical procedure. It involves the removal of a cylindrical or cone-shaped piece of the cervix in which the abnormal cells are located. Pathological examination will then confirm the diagnosis and ensure that all the abnormal cells have been removed.
We employ the treatment which includes chemotherapy and surgery.
Range of Services:
- Gynaecological cancer screening and prevention
- Treatment of preinvasive diseases
- Cancer surgery
- Complex pelvic surgery
- Inpatient and outpatient cancer care
- Inpatient and outpatient chemotherapy
- Tumour Board Conference
|Endometriosis What is endometriosis?Endometriosis is a condition where the womb lining responsible for menstruation (or endometrium) is found outside the womb. It is a common condition affecting about 10 percent of women. As many as 30% of women complaining of severe menstrual pain are found to be suffering from endometriosis, but the condition is often under diagnosed as it may also be present in women with symptoms unrelated to periods or those who experience minimal discomfort. Endometriosis can cause inflammation, scarring and adhesions of tissues in the pelvis, resulting in infertility and debilitating pain.
You may have endometriosis if you suffer from any of the following symptoms :
- Painful menstruation
- Pain during sexual activity
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Heavy or irregular menstruation
- Pelvic bloating (from endometriotic cysts or enlarged womb from infiltrative endometriosis)
- Bowel-related symptoms during menstruation (painful bowel movements, diarrhea, constipation)
- Urinary-related symptoms during menstruation (painful urination, bloody urination)
You can also be asymptomatic and have endometriosis or endometriotic cysts.
We have the following experts and medical team providing comprehensive care at our hospital:
- Anaesthetists for pain management
We offer the following services tailored to improve quality of life for each woman who suffer from endometriosis- related symptoms.
- Consultations to evaluate your symptoms and needs
- Advice on medications to improve symptoms – there is a wide range of medications including non-hormonal and hormonal medications available. We will discuss with you the benefits and side effects of the available options and adjust therapy according to your needs.
- Diagnostic laparoscopy – to confirm the presence of endometriosis. Therapeutic surgery can also be done at the same occasion.
- Therapeutic laparoscopy – to restore normal pelvic anatomy and excise endometriosis. Aims to relief pain and/or symptoms and improve fertility.
- Excision of endometriotic cysts
- Hysterectomy with or without removal of ovaries
- Other pain relief methods including medications and injections
- Diagnostic ultrasound scan services
Menopause is the final menstrual period and permanent end of fertility. A woman is said to have completed her menstruation when she has not menstruated for 12 consecutive months, or when both ovaries are surgically removed or damaged. Just like puberty, menopause is a natural biological process that a woman’s body undergoes.
Although menopause is not an illness, hormonal changes can result in unpleasant physical and emotional symptoms for some women. Do not hesitate to seek treatment if you are having severe symptoms. Many treatments are available, from lifestyle adjustments to hormone therapy.
- Consultation on menopause
- Lipid profile
- Pap smear screening
- Pelvic ultrasound
- Bone mass density measurement / blood tests for Osteoporosis